What does Medicare Plan G cover?

What does Medicare Plan G cover?

Medicare Plan G refers to one Medicare Supplement insurance (Medigap) plan. This plan covers many out-of-pockets expenses not covered by Original Medicare.

Covered Services and Supplies

Plan G covers any service or supply that Original Medicare covers. Original Medicare pays first. Plan G pays the remainder of expenses after the Part B deductible has been paid. This includes:

  • inpatient hospital
  • blood transfusions
  • skilled nursing
  • hospice care
  • doctor visits
  • lab work
  • diabetes supplies
  • durable medical equipment
  • x-rays
  • ambulance
  • surgeries


Out-of-Pocket Expenses Paid by Plan G

A Medicare recipient is responsible for paying the Medicare Part B deductible before Plan G pays for any expenses. (In 2018 the Part B deductible was $183.) At this point, Plan G covers virtually everything that Original Medicare does not. This includes the Part A deductible, copays, and coinsurance. Without some Medigap plans including Plan G, individuals are responsible for paying 20% of outpatient costs after the deductible has been paid. With Plan G, Original Medicare pays 80% of these costs and Medigap covers the other 20%. 

Added Bonuses

  • Medigap Plan G covers up to $50,000 in foreign travel medical emergencies.
  • Plan G premiums are relatively low.
  • Plan G has relatively low rate increases.  

    Out-Pocket Expenses not Paid by Plan G

    • Medicare Part B deductible
    • Co-pay for Medicare Prescription Drugs Part D


Medicare True-Cost Revealer. Now you can see the real costs of each Medicare plan... before you buy it.

Helpful Hint

Find out what every Medicare plan really costs

Each Medicare plan covers different drugs, and re-imburses different amounts.

Until now, it was impossible to compare Medicare plans — to know how much you will really pay under each plan.

Medicare Helper is proud to introduce our Medicare True-Cost Revealer. Just tell us your drugs, and we’ll show you the "Everything Cost" for each plan — that is, the real cost of the plan through the year.

Amazing. And completely free.

Try Medicare True-Cost Revealer

What does Medicare Plan G cover?