In some instances, subsidies and waived copayments are offered for Medicare Part D Prescription Drugs.
Eligibility for Receiving Subsidies
Low-income subsidies for Medicare Part D expenses are called Extra Help. The following individuals are eligible.
- Those who qualify for Medicaid
- Those whose income is less than 150% of the federal poverty level
- Those whose assets, excluding a home, are less than $14,100 for a single person or $28,100 for a married couple
Eligibility for Waived Copayments
The following individuals are eligible for waived Medicare Part D copayments.
- Those who reside in a long-term care nursing facility and are enrolled in Medicaid and Medicare Part D
- Those who use certain prescription drugs, especially generic brands
- Those who have a low-income subsidy and ask for the waiver at the pharmacy. Some pharmacies grant the waiver.